Sunday, February 22, 2015

Turning Our Words into Action

“Should scientists become advocates?”

I have heard this question several times throughout my education. Where is the line between remaining objective and having an agenda? Should scientists promote their research findings if they draw critical conclusions? The answer, I found, is no.

We do not need scientist-advocates. We just need more people like Janisse Ray.


As part of the Anthropocene series at Miami University, Janisse Ray shared her insights as a writer, naturalist, and activist in her lecture “Being Human in Wild Times.” To me, this gifted speaker could have been singing—her words were as musical as lyrics. The message of her lecture was just as mesmerizing.

Ray believes the idea of the Anthropocene is a “dead end” and represents hopelessness. Tackling the country’s environmental mess will require characteristic American traditions: “courage and open-mindedness.” Individuals need to find the courage to do their part: to walk when they can, to buy green when they can. We all need to find the courage to live sustainably.

“Big problems require small solutions.” –Mahatma Gandhi


With this quote, Ray expressed how this overwhelming task towards sustainability could be accomplished on the individual level. Change can begin with an action as simple as “inviting your neighbor over for soup.” I am inclined to agree. Before starting graduate school, my “green” record was not very green. It took the influence of my roommate—someone I grew to trust and value—to encourage me to recycle, ride the bus, and reduce my dependency on processed foods.

My behavior prior to meeting my roommate is and example of Ray’s concern regarding the “contradiction of words and actions in the face of environmental catastrophe.” There are those of us who preach green, but have difficulty cutting their habits of long showers or bottled water.

We need to begin “bringing our actions into alignment with our own aspirations.”

I am sure there are many spectators who criticize Ray for being “extreme” or “unrealistic.” Truthfully, I think she is. But environmental communicators like Janisse Ray are desperately needed. It is not her job to solve the issues of overpopulation, biodiversity loss, or climate change. It is her job to inspire.

“I am activist because I believe in life: one set in community and land, almost ‘mythical’ in scope.” –Janisse Ray

Listening to Janisse Ray affirmed my passion for environmental efforts, and I can honestly say that her message is something I am unlikely to forget.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right--leave the advocating to people who can use the science and let the scientists be objective. When Janisse Ray said the anthropocene was a dead end--I was like, damn it, we've done it again. We've heard the message that "nightmares" do not shift masses, but we cannot help ourselves from that message. I thought she gave an amazing talk with some great insights (and I ordered her book!)--although still, I like my long showers & life above the poverty line!

    ReplyDelete